A Great Baklava Recipe for a Serious Sweet Tooth
Need a little something sweet?
Here is a great Baklava recipe that you can use to prepare that awesome
Baklava can’t really be classified under the heading of Jewish
dessert recipes, but still, it is very popular in Israel.
This dessert is
mainly an Arabic dish, but you can find it in many variations in the
Greek and Turkish cuisines (alongside other Mediterranean recipes).
Baklava and coffee. Picture by Or Hiltch.
- 1½ lb (700 gm) filo dough
- ½ lb (450 gm) peanuts, walnuts, almonds or a mixture, roasted in the
oven, peeled and chopped (not too small) – best to use a food
- 7ozs (200 gm) melted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the topping :
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
Picture of the above Baklava by Pocket Culture.
How to make Baklava out of the above
- Divide the dough into three equal parts. Get a rectangle greased pan
(about 10”x13” or 27x35 cm) and line it with ⅓ of the dough. Brush each
filo sheet with melted butter (cover the remaining dough with a damp
towel to prevent it from drying out).
- Mix the nuts with sugar & cinnamon and sprinkle half the quantity over the dough.
- Cover with another layer of brushed filo sheets, sprinkle the
remaining nut mixture on top and cover with the final layer of dough.
- Cut into diamond shapes, but not all the way through.
- Pour remaining butter on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated medium-hot oven for ¾ hour, or until golden. Cut pieces through and allow to cool.
- Prepare syrup for topping: boil all ingredients together until thick
and pour slightly cooled cake. Can be kept in the baking pan for
several days, covered with aluminum foil.
A tray of different kinds of Baklava. I know you want one... Picture by FFG.
above Baklava recipe was taken from the excellent cookbook ‘The Melting
Pot – A Quick & Easy Blend of Israeli Cuisine’ by Tami
Lehman-Wilzig & Miriam Blum.
Return from Baklava recipe to the Israeli food page
Return to the Home Page
Ask Us a Question About This Topic!
Or Share Something Cool!
Have a question about this Israel topic? Or a suggestion or tip? Maybe even a personal story to share?
Great! Just fill out the fields below and send us your submission...
Copyright 2008-2018 israel-travel-and-tours.com
Click here for the Site Policies