The Galilee Area - Northern Attractions
The Galilee is a region in northern Israel. Actually, it takes up most
of the north. It is mostly mountains and hills, with a fairly large lake
which you may know as the Sea of Galilee.
Since there is a lot of rain and water in the area, the wildlife is
thriving and birds can be seen crossing from colder regions to Africa.
That is if you want to watch birds…
There are also quite a few sites with biblical importance, such as the Jordan River, Nazareth, Capernaum, (Kfar Nahum
in Hebrew) Tzfat and others. The history of the place stretches as far back
as King Solomon, who actually
gave the region as a gift to a guy named Hiram (what a cool gift!). And
of course, Jesus spent most of his life in this beautiful area.
The place has a lot to offer, and you can easily spend a few days here.
The Galilee's Main Attractions:
Rapids in Israel?!?! Oh Yeah!!!
The city of Nazareth
is probably one of the most important and interesting sites in the area.
It hosts the Church of the annunciation and is known as the town Mary
the virgin and Joseph lived in.
The Nazareth market during Christmas time
- You will also find here some of the most important and interesting Christian sites, such as Capernaum, and Tabgha (where Jesus lived for a while and performed miracles).
The Greek Orthodox church in Capernaum
- Not too far up the hill from Capernaum you will find the Mount of Beatitudes which is the location Jesus chose to deliver the Sermon on the Mount.
- You can check out the Ancient Boat a.k.a the Jesus Boat.
- A city that I always enjoy to visit is Akko, also called Acre,
which sits on the western side of the region alongside the
Mediterranean. Many have passed through this city, including Napoleon.
El-Jazzar Pasha Mosque in Akko. Picture by upyernoz.
- On the western side of this region and on the Mediterranean Sea is Rosh Hanikra with its grottos - water caves. It doesn't matter whether you enjoy unique geological formations or not, just don't skip this spot.
- If you are really into archaeology and antiquities you can find
plenty here such as the parks in Tsipori, Kokav Hayarden and others.
- You can also find Jewish holy sites in this region, most notably the town of Tzfat, center for the Kabbalah (the mystical side of Judaism).
If you combine all the above and add to it breathtaking views, you will
realize that you simply can’t afford to miss it. I hope I’m not over-stressing the point, but I know that visiting the Galilee will probably
rank very high on your list once you are back from your trip to Israel.
Have a great time touring this amazing area!
Click here for my recommended Hotels in the area
Return from Galilee to the Home Page
Ask Us a Question About This Topic!
Or Share Something Cool!
Have a question about this Israel topic? Or a suggestion or tip? Maybe even a personal story to share?
Great! Just fill out the fields below and send us your submission...
Copyright 2008-2016 israel-travel-and-tours.com
Click here for the Site Policies