How to Make Tahini:
An Israeli Tahini Recipe
So, you want to know how to make tahini…
Tahini is called t'hina in Israel and is very popular, since it almost always comes along with and in the same plate as the
It also goes great with an
and with many other Mediterranean dishes.
Below is a simple tahini recipe you can use to prepare that delicious sauce at home.
- 1 cup of sesame puree... Tahini is basically made out of ground sesame
seeds that are made into a thick paste. I doubt that you will actually
want to make this puree yourself by grinding the sesame, so your best
bet is to do what I do – buy the puree ready at your local grocery store
or in specialty stores. Here you can see a picture of the brand I’m
using, but there are other brands you can use too.
The tahini I use
- Juice from 1 lemon. (I prefer more lemon juice so I usually go with 1 and a 1/2 lemons but it is a matter of taste).
- 2 minced cloves of garlic.
- 1 and a 1/2 glasses of water.
- A handful of chopped parsley (also known as Italian parsley). This is optional – it can be removed altogether if you prefer.
- ¼ teaspoon salt.
Here is what you do:
- Pour 1 cup of the sesame puree into a big enough bowl.
the water and the lemon juice and, using a big spoon, start stirring. Now
this can take a while – even up to 15-20 minutes - be patient and keep stirring. Continue until you get an even
and smooth sauce.
- Add the garlic, the salt and the chopped parsley and stir some more.
Once the tahini is even you can now enjoy it with warm pita bread or added to your favorite dish.
Note: you can make the tahini as thick or fluidly as you like by adding or reducing the amount of water you mix into the puree.
I hope that you now feel confident about how to make tahini sauce and will go ahead and do so!
Here is a picture of how the sauce should look when it is ready:
The product of my tahini recipe. Mmmmm....
As we say in Hebrew, b-te-a-von! (meaning bon appetit)
Return from How to Make Tahini to the Israeli food page
Return to the Home Page
Ask Us a Question About This Topic!
Or Share Something Cool!
Have a question about this Israel topic? Or a suggestion or tip? Maybe even a personal story to share?
Great! Just fill out the fields below and send us your submission...
Copyright 2008-2016 israel-travel-and-tours.com
Click here for the Site Policies